Monday, March 24, 2014

Banana-Nut Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a simple breakfast staple, but it’s one I like to enjoy quite frequently. I like mine juicy, fruity and nutty!  It’s certainly not a gruel and it’s such a great way to start the day.

oatmeal2

oatmeal3

oatmeal1



INGREDIENTS: 

1/2 cup Rolled Oats

1/4 cup Walnuts

1 tbsp. Sugar

1 tbsp. Coconut shavings

1/2 Banana

pinch of Salt

1 cup Water

1 tbsp. Dried Cranberries

1/4 cup unsweetened Coconut Milk

3-4 fresh Strawberries


This recipe makes 1 breakfast serving of oatmeal, you can easily scale it up to serve more people or adapt the recipe to suit your own taste.  



INSTRUCTIONS: 

Toasting all the ingredients in the pot before adding the liquids is key!

First, I add the rolled oats in a medium size pot on low heat.

While the oats toast crush the walnuts, I thinly slice the banana and add it into the pot as well.

Next, I add the coconut shavings and the sugar, and I keep toasting until the sugar melts and the banana starts softening and caramelizing.

I give the mixture a stir before slowly adding the water and cranberries.

While occasionally stirring I let the mixture cook until most of the liquid is evaporated.

Meanwhile I wash and cut the strawberries.

I season the oatmeal with a pinch of salt, mix it again and transfer it into a breakfast bowl.

Finally I pour 1/4 cup coconut milk over the oatmeal and and top it with the fresh strawberries.

By adding the milk at the very last minute I ensure that the oatmeal isn't too dry and sticky. 

oatmeal4

Have you tried adding bananas into your oatmeal?  What is your preferred way to make this sometimes quite boring breakfast gruel into a delicious treat?  Let me know in the comments!

SignatureEnd
       ♡ Nina


2 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! It is very nice to see someone thinks it looks yummy. It is very tasty! Hope you get the chance to try the recipe for breakfast sometime.

      Delete