Monday, November 16, 2015

Open-Faced Veggie Sandwiches

My husband has been baking fresh sourdough bread every week since August.  This recipe shows the yummiest and my favorite way to eat it.  On the weekends, these sandwiches are my go to meal when I'm looking for something fresh and savory and need to prepare a quick meal for myself.   These open-face sandwiches just are the perfect lunch or snack and I simply love the freshness and crunch of everything that goes on top of them!







The bread in the picture is sourdough bread laced with vegan cheddar cheese and jalapeño peppers.  This just so happened to be the bread of the week, however, the combination of toppings is yummy on any sourdough.


I N G R E D I E N T S
  
2 slices of fresh Sourdough Bread

Romaine lettuce (about one large leaf per slice)

English Cucumber;  thinly sliced

2 Tbsp. Vegenaise

Cilantro leaves;  whole or broken

1 tsp. Nutricional Yeast Flakes

Hot Pepper Flakes;  as many or as few as you like

Salt and Pepper;  to taste


P R E P A R A T I O N

To start, wash and clean all fresh produce. 

Slice the bread into 1/2 inch thick slices.

Next, spread the Vegenaise onto the bread.

I like to tear the romaine leave into smaller pieces and arrange these bits on the bread.

Add a layer of cucumber slices and then a layer of tomato slices
Next, season with salt, freshly ground pepper, nutritional yeast and the hot pepper flakes.

Finally, pull some of the cilantro leaves of the stem and add them on top of the sandwich. You can tear the leaves into smaller pieces to release the fragrance into the rest of the ingredients.  Slice each piece of bread in half if you like and it is ready to eat.

Enjoy!
SignatureEnd
        Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment