Monday, February 17, 2020

No-Knead Sourdough Döner Bread

I'm on a mission to make a German street-food style döner at home and this is a progress report.  I have not narrowed down the toppings I prefer and I have not landed on a spice mixture that I'm totally in love with, but so far I have a nice sandwich bread and a dairy-free taziki sauce.  It's been tasty every time I made it and it would be a shame not to share this yummy recipe. 😋















This recipe makes one 10 inch loaf (enough for 4 döner sandwiches). 


INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup fed Sourdough Starter

1/2 cups warm filtered Water (heat lightly on stovetop)

1/4 cup warm plant-based Milk (heat lightly on stovetop)

1.5 Tbsp. plant-based Butter; melted (heat lightly on stovetop)


1 tsp. fine Salt (I use Diamond Crystal Salt)


1 tsp. Sugar


2 cups All-Purpose Flour



TOPPING INGREDIENTS:

Plant-based Butter; melted, for brushing on top

1/4 tsp. Salt


1 tsp. Sesame Seeds 


Nigella Seeds

          
(It's traditional to use sesame seeds and nigella seeds for this type of bread;  however other toppings are tasty too.  In this picture, I sprinkled the loaf with salt and finely minced fresh rosemary.)


    
REPARATION: 

[In preparation for this baking project, the sourdough starter needs to be fed a day prior or at least 4 hours before starting the recipe.] 

I like easy dump and go recipes and I write my ingredient list accordingly.  

Basically, if you look at the ingredients and add one at a time with a quick stir in between, the recipe will come together as it should.

But, I will of course also give the detailed ('how I' instead of 'how to') instructions as well.  Here they are:


To start, I grab a normal dinner dinner spoon or a large wooden spoon to do all the mixing.  I add 1/2 cup fed sourdough starter into a larger mixing bowl.  Next, lightly heat 1/2 cup of water on the stovetop or microwave, add it to the bowl  and then I give it a stir until the sourdough starter is completely dissolved.  








After this step, I use the same vessel used to heat the water to warm up 1/4 cup of plant-based milk and 1.5 Tbsp. plant-based butter.  I add this to the thinned out sourdough starter, plus 
1 tsp. fine Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
 and then I give everything a quick stir before adding 2 cups All-Purpose Flour.

There is no need for any special mixing equipment.  Even for mixing in the flour, I keep using the same spoon.  The dough will come together as a sticky and shaggy mass.  As you can see here ↓, it's nothing pretty at this point, but that's okay. 





No further kneading is necessary because the dough will just develop and come together over time.  I cover my bowl with it's lid, but you can use a plate or pot lid in order to avoid getting a dry skin on the dough during the 4-5 hour fermentation process.  I find a warm place for the bowl to sit during that time.  The cooler the area the longer it will take for the dough to grow in size.




After 4-5 hours the dough should be bigger in size and feel soft and pillowy.  

I dust a baking skillet with a good amount of flour as I will be working the dough into a round shape right on top of it.  I do this to minimize handling it.  I also shape as gently as possible as not to deflate the air bubbles developed during the fermentation process.  As you can see from the pictures below, the skillet I use is a 10 inch cast iron.


Once the dough is shaped, I let it rest for another 45 minutes.  Make sure to cover it to avoid drying.  Stooping a big bowl over it works nicely because a damp kitchen towel will stick if it touches the dough.





After the 45 minute rise, I set the temperature of my oven to 480℉.  And while the oven preheats I create the pattern on top of the loaf.  The pattern is pressed in by hand and done to prevent the dough from rising into a dome shape.  In order to work this pattern into the sticky dough, I dip the pointer-, middle- and ring finger of my working hand in flour.  I use these three fingers to press the pattern into the dough and I reapply the flour after almost every touch.  At first, I create a circle around the loaf that's roughly 1 inch away from the edge.  Then, I press a crisscross pattern on the inside of the circle.



Next, I use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of melted plant-based (about 1 tablespoon) on top of my loaf and afterwards I sprinkle it with 1/4 teaspoon of fine salt and 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds. 

I bake the bread for 8 minutes at 480℉ and then lower the temperature to 390℉ to continue baking for another 20 minutes.







To me the hardest part about baking is letting the bread cool before tearing into it. 🙈
I usually cut this bread into 4 equal quarters to create 4 big sandwiches pieces and then slice each one of them to the edge to create a pocket.
And then it's time to build my döner and eat.
One vegan döner 'mit allem', please 😋 
SignatureEnd

        Nina




TAZIKI SAUCE RECIPE

This should have been the end of the bread recipe, but I also wanted to mention the ingredients of the taziki-style white sauce I use to build my döner.  My recipe is dairy-free and allium-free because of my food allergies.

INGREDIENTS: 

3/4 cup dairy-free Yogurt (Kite Hill plain unsweetened almond milk yogurt is my preference)
1/2 cup plant-based Mayonaise
1 Lemon; zested
1/2 Lemon; juiced
about 1 Tbsp fresh dill; finely minced
about 1 Tbsp fresh Mint; finely minced
about 3 inches of English Cucumber; finely diced, skin and all
1/2 tsp. fine Salt



SPICE MIX:

I use this spice mix to season the tofu that goes on this sandwich.  The spice mix also works nicely outside this recipe for marinating vegetables for grilling. 

INGREDIENTS: 

1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground Fenugreek
1 tsp. ground Coriander 
1/2 tsp. ground Cardamon
1 1/2 tsp ground Cumin
1 tsp. Thyme
3 tsp. Oregano
3 tsp. ground Paprika
1 tsp. Salt

1/4 pack Extra Firm Tofu; drained and pressed


PAN SEARED TOFU REPARATION: 

Seasoning tofu does not work so well with a marinating process that is often done with vegetables or meat. 
I see the best results when I pan fry tofu in plant based butter (in a cast iron skillet) and when I add the seasoning and any type of marinating liquid halfway through the cooking process. This way I can crisp up the tofu and give the pieces a bit of a browning and the flavoring spices I add remain potent and stuck to the tofu and not on the bottom of the pan.

SERVING SIZE: 
1/4 block of tofu is a generous portion for one person.

I slice the tofu into 5 slices (1/4 inch thick).

I preheat the cast-iron skillet for several minutes and then I add 1/2 tbsp. of plant-based butter. Once it's melted I add the tofu to the pan in a single layer.

I cook the tofu for 3-7 minutes on each site, or until lightly browned. And actually while the second site cooks I sprinkle the tofu with the spice mixture. I lower the cooking temperature and splash 1 Tbsp. tamari and lemon juice over top. One last time I flip the tofu with the spatular so that the spices and the saltiness of the tamari coat both sides of the tofu pieces, adding more spice mix or tamari is needed.

The tofu should be served pretty soon after cooking it off as it does not keep this crispy and flavorful if held in the fridge for a bit.


No comments :

Post a Comment