Sunday, January 3, 2021

2021 New Years Goals for Intentional Living

Happy 2021 friends!
Every year since 2016, including last year, I set goals for the coming year. 
Oh the innocence of me... and all of us in 2019.
My goals always have a big sustainability focus and this years goals will be no different.

But 2020 had me so defeated that I almost abandoned the habit of setting new years goals.
But this would not serve me.  
I'm the type of person that thrives with a plan that provides stability for growth and creativity.  
Progress always comes to me in tiny repetitive steps.
I'm not comfortable without the directives and motivation of goals.
So, even though I could be very pessimistic about the prospects of this year, I'm not.  I will set new goals and I will hope for the best.








  "Spectacular achievement
is always preceded by
                unspectacular preparation."            

                                                 by Robert H. Schuller  
                                                                                                                                           






GREEN    DREAMS     

- SEASONAL CLEANUPS (4 total)
This is a goal I had to abandon in 2020 because I did not feel comfortable picking up other people's trash because of the pandemic and me being considered hight risk with my health conditions.  Just as in previous years, in 2021 I want to participate in 4 environment cleanups throughout the year.  To achieve this goal in a safe way, I plan to equip myself with some tools, such as trash picking tongs.  Normally, I like to join cleanup events if I can, but this year I will venture out on my own to clean up in my neighborhood. 

- GENTLE ACTIVISM: Continue the Zero Waste Book Club in 2021 and creating zero waste content on my Instagram and this blog.  

- MEAL PLANNING + GROCERY SHOPPING WITH A LIST
This is a green goal of mine as it decreases our grocery inventory and thus avoid food waste and helps us stay in budget.

- DISENGAGE FROM PLASTICS WHENEVER POSSIBLE (for health and environmental reasons).  
This is an ongoing effort of mine and my goals isn't being plastic free.  Plastic has its uses.  Sometimes, it is the best material to use for said application.  But not every object is best when it's made from plastic.  And also sometimes the plastic version is simply more readily available or cheaper and it is my privilege to to choose an alternative.  It is NOT my intention to engage in environmental racism and to shame or police people with fewer means or opportunities and tell them that their choices are environmentally damaging.  
If I'm buying, thrifting, creating or replacing something, I will opt for a plastic free option (if it's sensible).  This has been my intentions for the past few years.  To take the plastic purge a step further, I will remove one bit of plastic from my life once a week.  I started this habit in 2020 and I will continue it this year because it was an effective practice that brought on meaningful change.



GETTING    CREATIVE   

- COOK THROUGH CHLOE COSCARELLI'S BOOK CHLOE FLAVOR 
In January of last year I set out to eventually cook all recipes of this book and I'm still working on this goal. Never before have I cooked through a book front to back and in the past year I learned a lot from digging deep into this one cookbook that I would not have picked up from sampling one or two recipes. Like getting a sense of the way this chef balances flavor and the techniques used that make vegan recipes a success.

- DAILY MEMORY PLANNING WITH PHOTOS (a private endeavor) 

- DAILY CREATIVE PURSUITS:  
blogging, working on videos and compiling a cookbook.  My intention is to do at least 15 minutes of creating every day without the pressure of release schedules or deadlines.  If I feel happy and excited about my creation I will release it to the world.

- ADD OR CREATE SOMETHING WHITE EACH MONTH
I'm set this goal originally in 2019 because I'm having a difficult time creating the light and airy aesthetics that I enjoy.  Maybe you are one of these people that can think about creating something and then you go and create just that: draw, take a photo, set a table, remodel a room, create a capsule wardrobe.  With me something happens in the creative process in which I deviate from my vision and what I'm creating is layered, complicated, detailed and crayon colored. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure why this is the case.  In 2019 and 2020 I had great success by adding something white each month and I will therefore repeat my efforts this year.

- DRESSING WITH + CURATING FOREVER FAVOURITES  
This past year I learned a big lesson about my buying habits after several seasons in which I did not buy a thing to my capsules and then the fall and winter capsule for which I purchased 2 new items each.  The items were purchased from my running clothing wish list.  I did not make any compromises and I bought them with the intention to enjoy the items until they get too worn out.  
This is different to cheerful thrift purchases that will most likely circle back to the thrift store when I get bored of the piece and realize it was not for me after all.  
Online thrifting or online purchases seem to better provide me with exactly what I need and an item I can happily keep in my closet for years.  For you this might be different.
So my goal for the coming year is to repair items when they break, recycle clothing when they are no longer serviceable and to purchase only when there is a need.  I'd like to get into the habit of outfit building with all of my old and new forever pieces.
I'm trying to implement this while of course continuing to keep a seasonal capsule wardrobe.  I love Project 333 and even though I've used this capsule method for years now it still works for me and I'm NOT done learning from the process.



PERSONAL    DEVELOPMENT    

- DAILY 15 MINUTE CLEAN
A few years ago I started on this 15 minute cleaning routine. It is working and I will keep going with it.

- COMPLETING TASKS
This is the start of an ambitious goal of unlearning habits and getting in the habit of completing tasks.  I'm not sure if it is a restlessness in me or a matter of lack of intentionality, but I noticed that I'm in this habit of starting tasks and leaving a trail of 'disorder' in my wake which I later have to tidy.  I would love to be in the moment with things so that I won't have to retrace my steps all the time. Basically, I'm trying to relearn the kindergarten habit of putting my toys away after I'm done playing with them.  

- CLEAN UP MY LANGUAGE 
2020 has seen a lot of strong language from my part and I decided to leave it behind.  It's bad enough my husband had to listen to it, but I don't need to emerge out of social distancing speaking this way.  Maybe not engaging in reminiscing about 2020 will help too.

- PRACTICE YOGA EVERY DAY
Daily Yoga with Adrienne practice
or outdoor yoga classes in the summer



SEEK    ADVENTURE    

- CREATE A BUCKET LIST FOR 2021
I will will update and add to this section as I go.  I strongly believe in planning, setting goals and orchestrating ones highlights.  Yes, sure one might join someone else's fun or stumble across something awesome by chance, but to me planning joyful experiences means that I will have less everyday and more real special moments throughout the year.

✅ visit 1 new National Park
✅ go on a sunrise hike
⃞ dandelion projects and recipes 
✅ camp at a farm


- WEEKLY AIRSTREAM PROJECTS 
After many years of dreaming and saving my husband and I were able to purchase an Airstream travel trailer this past fall.  And honestly, the Airstream has been the best part of 2020.  These planned weekly projects will prepare Spencer and I to move into our Airstream once our lease in New Jersey ends in October 2021.  With these weekly projects we will prep, plan and dream of venturing south for the next winter in our new home.

✅ JANUARY: testing of all our things fit room by room
✅ FEBRUARY: bedroom projects
✅ MARCH: outside clean and organize
⃞ APRIL: kitchen projects  (↓ pushed to July)
✅ MAY: bathroom projects
✅ JUNE: solar instal (is started)
✅ JULY: kitchen organization + declutter
✅ AUGUST: outdoor cooking and entertaining
✅ SEPTEMBER: truck projects


Fingers crossed 2021 will be a good one 🤞

♡ Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment