Sunday, September 4, 2022

Anabel's Campfire Salad 🔥

In the past year this salad has become a favourite dinner. It's a fresh base with campfire roasted vegetables, perfectly crisp cast iron fried tofu and it's a nice dish to share with those that are not following a vegan diet because it goes well with other proteins from the grill. 

Our friend (& chef) Anabel prepared this salad for us in our Airstream kitchen while camping at a McKinney Falls State Park in Austin Texas.  






This recipe makes dinner for 2.
Scale up for more dinner guests. 


F A R R O   S A L A D

2 cups Farro; cooked (1 cup dry Farro)

1/2 cup Pistachios; toasted and chopped

1/2 tsp. Lemon Zest

3 Tbsp. Lemon juice (about 1/2 a Lemon)

1 tsp. Ginger; finely grated 

1/2 tsp. Sugar

1/3 cup Olive Oil

1 Serrano Chili; deseeded and finely diced 

1 cup mixed herbs: Mint, Cilantro and Parsley; finely shopped

1/3 cup golden Raisins

1/2 tsp. Salt

This is a simple recipe to make. I boil the farrow as you would pasta with plenty of water and I drain it when I'm happy with the consistency of the grain. 

While the farro is cooking I prep all the other ingredients and add them one by one into a large mixing bowl. I give everything a good stir and then add the farro after it's cooled off a bit.


Next, for the protein. This salad is lovely with some fire roasted vegetables. 

Anabel's preference is for chicken schwarma. 

My husband tops his farrow salad with grilled chicken thighs that he seasoned with his Jersey grilling spice: 

J E R S E Y   G R I L L I N G   S P I C E

1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon

1 tsp. ground Coriander 

2 Tbsp. Chili Powder (we dried and ground a mix from our own harvest)

1/2 tsp. Cardamon

1 1/2 tsp. Cumin

1 tsp. Thyme

3 tsp. Oregano

2 tsp. Paprika

1 tsp. Salt 

(I add a spritz of lemon juice and vegetable oil when tossing the vegetables with the spice.  For seasoning tofu, always sear to crisp first before adding a sprinkle of seasoning.)

Grilled vegetables are also wonderful with this spice mix.


C A S T   I R O N   F R I E D   T O F U

1 12 oz block Extra Firm Tofu

2 Tbsp. plant based Butter

2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast

1/8 tsp. Fenugreek powder

1/8 tsp. Hot Pepper Flakes

2 Tbsp. Tamari (I like the brand SAN-J)

First I drain the block of tofu from its water and then I roll it in a clean kitchen towel to pull out even more of it's liquid.

I melt 2 tablespoon of plant based butter in a large cast iron pan over medium-low heat.  While the butter is melting I cut the tofu into 1 inch thick cubes.

I place the tofu in a single layer in the pan and fry them, flipping the pieces frequently until all the liquid from the butter is gone.

At this point, I remove the pan from the heat, sprinkle the tofu evenly with nutritional yeast, fenugreek powder and hot pepper flakes before pouring 2 tablespoon of Tamari over top.





I serve the fire roasted vegetables and/or the fried tofu warm over top of the farro salad. It's so YUMMY!

Do let me know if you give this recipe a go. I would love to know what you think.

♡ Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment