Sunday, January 14, 2024

Sourdough Focaccia

This is another one of my SUNRISE MAGIC SOURDOUGH recipes. 
It means I start mixing up the dough in the evening, let the long fermentation happen over night and then in the morning bake - sourdough magic, delicious and beautiful. 

Focaccia makes a great side dish and is a popular treat at a potluck.









This recipe makes 1 sheet pan loaf.
Bake Temp./Time: 425℉ for 30 min 


INGREDIENTS:  (Day 1)

1/4 cup fed Sourdough Starter

1 1/4 cups filtered Water

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil

3 cups All-Purpose Flour

1 1/2 tsp. Salt


INGREDIENTS:  (Day 2) 

2 Tbsp. Olive Oil

2 sprigs of fresh Rosemary; chopped

Salt Brine Mix: 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1 Tbsp. warm Water


Optional Toppings: 

Cherry Tomatoes; sliced, 

Cherry Peppers; sliced,

Olives

Hot Pepper Flakes etc.



PREPARATIONN: 

I use a medium size bowl to mix the day 1 ingredients.  Instead of my hands I use a chopstick to stir everything into a dough. This way I don’t get my hands sticky, plus the chopstick is the easiest kitchen tool to slide the dough from.

I cover the bowl with a lid/plate and let it rest on the counter in a warm place overnight or for at least 12 hours. For an extra boost, and especially when the room is cold, I place the bowl in a proofer and let it run at 80℉ for 2 hours.

After the long rising time the dough is ready to bake when it has the following qualities, otherwise continue the rise for a little longer. 

-the dough has risen significantly 
(about an additional half more of it’s original size)

-if you pick part of the dough from the side of the bowl, air bubbles and strands of gluten are visible



Next, I spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom and sides of a quarter baking sheet pan (9 x 13 inches).  A pastry brush works well for the application and is useful to make this step less messy.  After adding the olive oil, I sprinkle 1 teaspoon of semolina flour onto the bottom of the pan.  This step is optional.  I think the semolina flour adds a lot to the flavor of the bread, but if you don’t have some on hand don’t sweat it.  If you like baking focaccia on the reg, or you enjoy making homemade pizza or bread, do pick up a small bag of semolina flour and enjoy the little extra bottom crust oomph it will bring to your baking favorites.

I pull the dough from the bowl and transfer it to the oiled and sprinkled pan.  I gently pat and stretch until it evenly fills the sheet pan. The dough generally springs back a little and doesn’t immediately want to hold the newly stretched shape.  For this reason the dough gets to rest another 10-15 minutes of relaxing time until it is easier for me to mold it to the shape of the pan.

Once fully shaped I brush the top of the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then I also pour the brine over top.  Finally I garnish the top by scattering the chopped rosemary and sliced cherry tomatoes and then I use my fingertips to dimple the surface and press the toppings into the dough.



Once more the dough gets to rest for a final 30 minutes or until it is visibly risen a bit more.




During this time, I position the oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 425℉.  

The focaccia bakes at this temperature for 30 minutes. Or more depending on your oven or how browned you like the focaccia.

I let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before taking it out and slicing it.


♡ Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment