Monday, May 12, 2014

Homemade Maple Müesli

Today, we are making a homemade Müesli!  How very, very German of me!  Müesli is a simple breakfast dish made with rolled oats, a mix of nuts, seeds and dried fruit.  As a child, I especially liked the kind with chocolate shavings in it.  Of course, I could walk into the health food section of any good supermarket or head to the German Delicatessen store and purchase a pretty decent looking, but over prized pack of Müesli.  On the other hand, it’s much more economical to make my own and this way I will have the opportunity to choose exactly what I like. 

Muesli
For this batch, I went for rolled oats, dried cherries and golden yellow raisins, sunflower seeds and sprouted quinoa, slivered almonds and ribboned coconut shavings.   I also glazed everything but the raisins and cherries with the brown sugar before giving it a toasting in the oven.

Müesli

3 cups organic Rolled Oats

3 Tbsp. unsalted Sunflower Seeds

3 Tbsp. Quinoa;  sprouted

3 Tbsp. slivered Almonds

3 Tbsp. ribboned Coconut Shavings

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

1/2 cup Maple Syrup

4 Tbsp. dried Cherries

3 Tbsp. golden Yellow Raisins

Salt;  to taste


    P R E P A R A T I O N S

    Prepare the quinoa (or do without it).  It’s important to rinse the quinoa several times before soaking and sprouting it to remove impurities and to make the grain less cloudy.  For best result, sprout the quinoa in cold water overnight or a couple of hours before mixing up this recipe.  Alternatively, you could cook the quinoa for a few minutes.  I just prefer sprouting it to gain all its nutrients.  The quinoa is awesome in this Müesli, it’s nutty flavor really shines and compliments the other ingredients, especially the dried fruit.


    Combine the oats, nuts and seeds into a large mixing bowl.

    Mix the brown sugar with two or three tablespoon of water and you may have to warm it before mixing it with maple syrup.
    Poor the sugar mix over the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is evenly coated.

    Spread the mixture on a sheet pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until lightly brown.  I recommend stirring the mix every 10 minutes to give it an even toasting.

    Remove from the oven and let it sit out to cool.

    Finally, mix in the raisins and dried cherries before storing the Müesli away or having a bowl of it right away.

    There are several ways to have Müesli.  I don’t mind having it with just a little unsweetened nut milk and some fruit because I really like the chewy texture.   On other days, I like to let it soak a bit to soften the oats.  I also like the Müesli cooked as you would oatmeal which makes for a nice hot breakfast. 
      SignatureEnd
               Nina

      oatmeal5
         You might also like…
         Meatless Monday: Banana-Nut Oatmeal

      No comments :

      Post a Comment