Sunday, December 30, 2018

Winter Capsule 2018 - Curating A Plastic Free Wardrobe

“It’s important to remember that the root of a lot of issues in fashion actually comes from the incredible rate of consumption and disposal of clothing.  So, it does not matter how fairly made or eco friendly something is if it is worn twice and then thrown away.” ~ Erin from My Green Closet





One of the most difficult things for zero wasters or for anyone wanting to live more sustainable, is slowing down consumption— not because wanting to live adherent to a minimal aesthetic or for the lack of funds, but as a conscious environmental choice.  Slowing down consumption takes a lot of self discipline.  It’s not a way of living that's ‘instagram-able’, but it’s the most impactful way to live more sustainable and to create a lot less waste.

In the past year, I’ve been thinking a lot about the environmental and health concerns of the ‘plastic’ clothing items that I own.  For a multitude of reasons, I decided to phase most of those items out (except for swim and some active wear) and look for non-toxic, natural fiber replacements.  It’s a long, long process and not exceptionally interesting.  I've been at it for about a year now and it might take a few more before I have a plastic free wardrobe.  I recycle the fabric or donate an item when it is beyond repair, too shabby, or it does not fit me anymore.  If I need the item, then I will look for a replacement on the second hand market first before considering new goods.  

With so many eco-companies out there, it might seem exciting to show and own investment pieces from a cool sustainable brand, but this is NOT the direction I like to go.  I'm more so looking to slow down the way in which I buy and cycle through clothing.  I would like to keep and love my clothing for longer.
I'm don't wish to switch my fast fashion consumption to one that's a bit more sustainable and ethically produced.  In many ways, that market for sustainable goods has become its own problematic behemoth that is counterproductive to the original goals of the sustainability movement.  In many ways the solution to the overconsumption of clothing is similar to the solution to the plastic waste problem.  It's getting to the root of the problem, turning off that 'plastic tab' and curbing our consumption habits.  
Why not do the same with our fashion consumption?  

So, in light of this, why am I still writing about capsule dressing?

I'm not a nudist and getting dressed is something I'll have to do every day.  
Acquiring 'new' clothes is something I inevitably have to do.  And capsule dressing provides clear boundaries in which I can exercise restrain, slow down and make mindful choices about what and how I buy.
That being said, capsule dressing isn't at all too restrictive or negative.  I've been capsule dressing for years.  I keep learning new things from the process and I find creativity within the boundaries.  


Now, what is it that I want from my capsules in 2019?


...  I like to be more in control of my health and I like my attire to support my health, be non-polluting and non-toxic.  I have pretty severe asthma.   So why would I want to keep synthetic clothes around that off-gas or shed tiny plastic particles into the air I breathe?  Plastic clothing no longer has a secure place in my wardrobe, it's on its way out and if possible I'm not planning to acquire new synthetic things in the future.  


... I like to purchase quality and keep items for long term.  By 'long term' I mean having items in my collection for good or until I wear them out.  I don't want to continuously cycling through things because I was not intentional or because I made compromises.  I'm starting to get a vision of what I want and I don't want to get sidetracked and make concessions because of convenience, a price tag or the slow pace in which I'm crawling towards my vision.  I don't wish to settle for something that is almost perfect:  a wonderful fit and fabric, but with a strange pattern, something too tight, too short or not warm enough.  Settling does not support my well being and it creates waste.  No good.


... I like to make environmentally and socially responsible purchases.


... I like to look for white or light neutral colors.  This is the aesthetic part and it's really not as trivial as it may seems.  I've written about my love for white and my trouble of bringing white into my life before.  I'm not naturally gifted to bring my aesthetic visions into reality, but I'm hoping in 2019 I will get to work on that!  



These are my plans for the next 4 capsules and I will try to implement all these changes slowly.  When slowing down I can make deliberate intentional choices that will work for me long term.  My hope is that I can avoid falling for green washing, plastic zero waste items and gimmick-y trash marketed to zero wasters.  I think this is an important topic that should be brought up in the comments or a zero waste group? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Anyways, I wanted to share the following video about starting an ethical capsule wardrobe.  Erin, the creator of the video, makes some very important points that I wholeheartedly agree with.  I know at first glance fashion doesn’t seem to belong in the zero waste debate, but it’s a consumable we all have in our life and even on an individual level it can be shockingly wasteful.  The EPA for example estimates that Americans throw out 81 pounds of clothing every year. (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-11/documents/2014_smmfactsheet_508.pdf).  
This number is truly shocking 😱

While I'm quite certain the pieces of clothing that leave my home don't tip the scale to 81 pounds, I could be more mindful about my consumption and the disposal of garments.  I really like to embrace slowing down and being intentional with anything I bring into my life.



But for now, here are the pieces I selected for this winter capsule:
(new to me items, pieces bought second hand, are marked with a *)

J A C K E T S   (4)
- black peacoat
- tan peacoat*
- grey jacket
- navy blue parker

S H O R T    S L E E V E    T O P S    (4)
- white camisole
- blue/white striped t-shirt
- olive Yellowstone graphic t-shirt
- black linen tunic

L O N G    S L E E V E    T O P S    (8)
- red turtleneck sweater
- light pink sweater*
- white braided sweater
- black sweater
- navy blue turtleneck sweater
- open navy blue cardigan
- navy blue flower top
- grey half-zip sweatshirt

D R E S S E S    (2)
navy blue pleated dress
- denim dress

B O T T O M S    (5)
- embroidered high waisted jeans
- indigo jeans
- mid wash high waisted jeans
- black high waisted jeans
- navy blue corduroy pants

S H O E S   (5)
- black rain boots*
- white tennis shoes
- black boots NICORA
- black lace up heeled boots NICORA
- tan UGG boots

A C C E S S O R I E S   (6)
- everyday jewelry
- sunglasses
- scarves (x3)
- black beanie
- reversible black and brown belt*
- black gloves


Thanks for reading and a very happy, healthy new year to you!

   ♡ Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment