Sunday, January 6, 2019

2019 New Years Goals

Happy New Years friends!  Right around Christmas time I started thinking about my goals and commitments for 2019.  It's something I do each year and it's one of my all time favourite things to do.

I started sharing my goals in 2017 here on the blog and I'm happy that I have this way of documenting my goals.  Regrettably, I never shared to my goals for 2018, so I wanted to publish them now before the year starts getting too far along.


                                                                                                                                                                           ↟ STAFFORD FORGE WMA, New Jersey








G E T   O U T S I D E   M O R E
This year I like to spend more time in nature and explore the state in which I currently live.  Inspired by my friend Debbie, I’m embarking on the 52HikeChallenge.  Working on this challenge means that I will take one hike each week until the end of the year.  Maybe I can keep up with the videos too.  That might be the real challenge.
The picture above shows me on my first hike of 2019 at the Stafford Forge Wildlife Management Area.  We had the whole place to ourselves because it was freezing, but it also was quite beautiful on our hike.  Now I like to go back when it's warmer outside 😃

The following player will show my videos from the hiking challenge:




G R E E N   D R E A M S

I've focused extensively on my green goals in the past two years.  In 2016 all my goals were zero waste related (Green Goals for 2017).  
-This year I want to continue to disengage from plastics whenever possible.  This includes plastic disposables, clothing, etc.  Most people understand the problems with disposing plastics, the leaching of chemicals into food and drinks, and the release of micro-plastics when washing synthetic fabrics.  I like to stop all that nasty stuff under my roof.  
Another reason why I like to disengage from plastics is my health.  
I don’t want to consume any plastic or toxic chemicals that leach off plastic.  
And I want to improve indoor air quality by eliminate plastic materials that off-gas and aggravate my asthma.  
-Take a walk each season to remove trash from the environment (invite others to participate). #TrashTag  #DeTrash

W H I T E
-I would love to continue with capsule dressing, to help me keep things simple and to find my preferences.  I love the way I feel when I wear something white.  I like to add more white pieces to each capsule and if possible look for white clothing when I'm adding to my collection.
-I want to add or create something white each month!  I'm setting this goal because I'm having a difficult time creating the light and airy aesthetics that I enjoy.  Maybe you are one of these people that can think about creating something and then you go and create just that: draw, take a photo, set a table, remodel a room, create a capsule wardrobe.  With me something happens in the creative process in which I deviate from my vision and what I'm creating is layered, complicated, detailed and crayon colored. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure why this is the case.  Maybe making small, individual changes will help me invite more white into my life.
-Actively creating functional spaces that are also beautiful: my closet, dresser, bed, crafting supplies, personal care, pantry, living room, and fridge storage.  For this I like to work with natural materials and the color white.

C R E A T E 
I want to celebrate that my passions are worthwhile simply because I enjoy doing them and because of the beauty or function they provide.  Blogging, photography and creating videos is a big creative outlet for me and it's something that's important for my happiness.  Often when I share my creations people get excited and suggest I should sell my creations, monetize my online content or see if I can make a living of it.  Not every passion needs to be monetized and they are worthwhile to me even if they don’t bring on cash. I really don’t understand why everything creative has to be tied to making money these days.  Or that it is perceived more worthwhile if it brings in a good chunk of money.  No don't get me wrong, I wouldn’t be mad if someone decided to fling money at me for my creative whimsies, but I don’t set out to create because I want to make money.
Also, while I love to show some of my creations, there are others that I keep very private. Here are my goals for creating.
-Photography: take monthly photos of Spencer and I (most likely a private endeavor)
-Videography: publish once a month
-Blogging : once a month
-Journaling: daily crafting with more pictures (private)
-Learning to sew: create something each month (private)

P E R S O N A L   D E V E L O P M E N T
-In October Spencer and I started working out.  At this point we are halfway through our program.  I would love to work through it twice this year.  So far, besides giving us lots of energy and helping us greatly with the winter blues, it is 'all pain and none of the gain'.  So far I'm still waiting for improved strength, muscle or weight loss.
-Another practice I plan on implementing together with my husband is what we call a daily 15 minute clean.  This is a cleaning we've done sporadically as a cleaning practice since we've been together, but this year we like to see if we couldn't benefit from a daily 15 minute clean.  I will report back on how this will go for us 🙃
-Let's read 12 books this year!  
-I also want to implement a simple morning and night skincare routine.  How difficult can it be?
-Talking about working on something tough.  I'm really not drinking enough water each day.  So this year I like to make a daily effort to track my water intake. 
-And finally, there are some programs I like to get more proficient in.  I  want to work more in Photoshop and I like to learn how to edit video in Premier Pro.

That's it.  17 goals for 2019.  The list might seem rather long when it's written out this way, but I'm confident it's doable.


Cheers to a joyful and greener 2019! If you care to share, I would LOVE to hear some of your new years goals in the comments.

#SlowLiving2019 #SLCzerowaste


   ♡ Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment