Sunday, March 31, 2019

My Spring Capsule Wardrobe 2019

Hello friends!  My calendar says it's Spring.  The weather doesn't really feel like it, but regardless of that I'm in my Spring capsule from now until the end of May.  Have a look!  I snapped some pictures of all the items I have this time around 😃



See, this is me in one of my 'spring' outfits 🙈LOL

As usual my capsule wardrobe is following the rules of Project 333.  It is a simple, no fuss capsule method.  I'm linking the creator's page with the rules here, but basically you select 33 items of clothing for the next three months and all your other clothes get stored away until you create your next seasonal capsule.  All my off-season clothes are kept in a big box in the coat closet.


I've been dressing consecutively in this capsule method since October 2015 and I love it so much I have not skipped a season.  Capsule dressing was at the hight of its popularity back in 2015 and many bloggers and YouTubers gave one of the many capsule styles a whirl for at least one season.  I'm not sure why people stop capsule dressing.  It isn't just meant to be a one time declutter and three months experiment, though it can be.  It can be an ongoing system for simplicity, an ongoing learning experiment and a framework for creativity. 


Since 2015, my style and preferences have certainly evolved.  And I've learned something new from the same process.  That's the reason why I'm still at it.


What I will discuss now might not come to your attention when you start with your very first capsule.  It's the creativity aspect of capsule dressing.

When I started capsule dressing, the lessons I learned were all about utility: 
simplicity, time saving, the value of quality pieces and that comfort is key.  
I learned that no one noticed or cared that I dressed in such a minimalistic way.  It's not as big of a deal as I feared it would be.  You can find all my previous capsule posts here if you're interested to see exactly how my focus shifted with each capsule season.

With this capsule though, I've been thinking a lot about the creative process of building a capsule or an outfit in relation to how I seem to build just about anything.  In short, I piecemeal everything.  Try as I may, I create, I edit, and I rework my creations, but the finished product is always a bit underwhelming.  Then I go at it again and again, and together all these standalone underwhelming tries build something 'bigger'.  In all the tries I build something out of nothing or learned a skill.


This is the case for pretty much anything I create.  

But - clearly lacking amazing talent - for me creations always happen over a long period of time, in many many steps, until I reach a point where it could be regarded as finished.  But really, it is often an open ended creative project that can always be tweaked and edited.  
This works for me because my strong suit is persistence.  I might not have many talents going for me, but persistence I have.  And with this skill I can kind of end up where talent took the gifted ones at first try.

I'm mentioning this in a post about capsule dressing because it's such a typical example of my creative process.
- Naturally, I'm not the most organized person, but in many imperfect tries capsule dressing makes it look like I have my act together.
- I'm no fashionista, but capsule dressing provided the creative constrains and plenty of time in which I could build outfits instead of just throwing on clothing pieces that kind of go together.
- Often I don't know where to begin with sustainable, healthful choices, but capsule dressing slows my buying habits and provides the space to contemplate preferences and acquisitions.  I've become more selective, preferring quality, natural fiber clothing instead of synthetics and I favor the second hand market for new purchases.  You can see this reflected in my capsules as I've always tracked what I bought.  It's interesting for me to look back on, and also gives me the opportunity to pause and reflect on all the incoming goods.  For example, I've counted 8 this season.
Wait, that many? 🙈🤔




And now, let's have a look at my spring capsule pieces:
(new items are marked with a *, second hand pieces with **)

J A C K E T S   (4)
- tan peacoat
- grey blazer
- jean jacket
- white fleece jacket**


S H O R T   S L E E V E   T O P S   (3)
- white camisole
- blue/white striped t-shirt
- olive Yellowstone graphic t-shirt


L O N G   S L E E V E   T O P S   (8)
- light pink sweater
- white braided sweater
- black sweater
- navy blue turtleneck sweater
- open navy blue cardigan 
- navy blue flower top
- white button down




D R E S S E S   +   S K I R T S   (2)
navy blue pleated dress
- white spring flower dress**
- blue printed wrap skirt* (bought with a gift return credit)





B O T T O M S   (6)
- indigo jeans
- blue jeans**
- white jeans
- mid wash high waisted jeans
- olive pants**
- cream corduroy pants**




S H O E S   (5)
- black rain boots
- brown riding boots**
- white tennis shoes
- tan flats**
- black boots NICORA


A C C E S S O R I E S   (5)
- everyday jewelry
- sunglasses
- scarves (x3) (not individually pictured)
- black beanie
- black, brown and white belts (not individually pictured)
Thanks for having a look at my new capsule!
  ♡ Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment