Monday, March 28, 2016

Overnight Apple Oatmeal

Overnight oatmeal in a jar.  I know, it sounds gimmicky, but it's what I have most mornings;  it's a practical grab and go breakfast and pretty yummy as well.  I understand there is a lack of breakfast recipes on this blog, but this is mainly because my breakfasts are nothing extraordinary and rarely require a recipe.  I love a good mono-meal of fruit and I'm also a big fan of oatmeal.  Most of the time I'm actually having my breakfast on the train as the sun comes up.  At this time, I'm a little more awake and I don't feel rushed. 






Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup Rolled Oats;  I prefer the gluten-free kind
  • 1 small Granny Smith Apple;  grated
  • 1 Tbsp. Almonds;  chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. Golden Raisins (optional)
  • 1 tsp. Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. Flax Seeds
  • 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 1 cup unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • (oh, you will also need a medium size mason jar with a lid)

Preparations: 
  • Wash the apple and then use a coarse grater to process the apple.  I actually just quarter and core the apple and then just start grating the pieces with the peel on.  This way the skin of the apple acts as a layer of protection for my finger tips as I run the apple slices over the microplane.  In the end the apple is nicely shredded and the skin is leftover.
  • Next, layer the shredded apple and the dry ingredients in the mason jar, close the lid and shake to mix everything. 
  • Once everything looks evenly mixed, pour in the vanilla extract and the coconut milk.  
  • As a final step, close the lid and store in the refrigerator.
  • If you take this breakfast to work or school (or eat it at home) just add about two tablespoon of coconut milk or water.  Also, don't forget to pack a napkin and a spoon.  
SignatureEnd
        Nina

No comments :

Post a Comment